TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) is an innovative form of “brain stimulation” used to treat certain psychiatric and neurological disorders that have not improved through traditional approaches.
TMS uses a non-invasive, highly-focused, brief magnetic pulse to stimulate activity in the areas of the brain known to affect mood—without the troubling side effects people often experience from taking medication.
While TMS is FDA approved for the treatment of resistant depression, there is now significant evidence that TMS can be helpful in treating a wide range of other brain-related issues, including:
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Cognitive and memory problems
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
THE BENEFITS OF TMS
- It directly targets only the area of the brain that needs treatment
- Unlike medication, it has no systemic side effects (meaning it doesn’t get into your blood stream)
- It’s non-invasive, safe, well-tolerated and is relatively painless
- Treatment sessions last about 40 minutes, and you can resume your normal activities immediately after each session
- After a full course of treatment, a high percentage of patients report a significant reduction in symptoms and experience improvement in their quality of life
- You may be able to reduce or stop taking certain medications
IS TMS TREATMENT RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you agree with any of these statements, ask your Amen Clinics doctor if TMS therapy may be right for you:
- I want a more natural approach to treat my symptoms
- My symptoms interfere with my daily life
- I’m not satisfied with the results from medications and/or therapy alone
- I am suffering unwanted side effects of medication
- I am hoping to reduce or discontinue medications for other reasons, such as pregnancy or nursing
TMS OFFERS NEW HOPE
TMS is appropriate for anyone who has not had success in controlling certain conditions with medications or therapy alone, or someone who wants a more natural approach to treatment. Your Amen Clinics doctor can help you decide if TMS may be right for you.
TMS SUCCESS STORIES
“I basically have my life back. I feel so good, I will actually sing along with the radio. And I’m able to manage the demands on a busy working mom. The TMS therapy is truly a life-changing experience.”
“TMS was a permanent solution. Instead of taking drugs for the rest of my life, I could do TMS for a month and see significant results that were permanent. I am happy, I’m losing weight and I just feel like I have a life again. I believe that TMS gave that back to me.”